[mythtv-users] plextor convertx tv-402u audio dying

Nathan Lutchansky lutchann-mythtvusers at litech.org
Wed Aug 17 06:03:02 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 09:46:09PM -0700, Adam Felson wrote:
> I recently got a plextor usb2 tv capture box and am having problems with
> the audio.  It can barely go 20-40 minutes without dying.  Once the
> recording is stopped and another one started then the problem is
> cleared... for a little while.  When watching live-tv, I can get things
> working again by exiting live-tv and going right back to it.

Is the audio OK before you lose it?  Is there any stuttering or does it
get out of synch with the video?  Are you recording uncompressed audio
or MP3?

> The errors in the mythbackend log are of the form:
>  2005-08-16 21:37:30.298 NVR: Only read -1 bytes of 16384 bytes from
> '/dev/dsp1
> read audio: Input/output error

Sounds like the audio buffer on the hardware is getting overrun, which
causes the audio pipe to lock up.  Usually this happens because of bus
errors or because the host CPU can't service the audio pipe fast enough.

What video bitrate are you running?  Is the convertx connected to a USB
2.0 port?  Do your other USB devices work OK?  Have you tried swapping
out the USB cable, or hub, if you're using one?  -Nathan