[mythtv-users] No video playback - LiveTV or recordings (hints pls!)

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 00:05:19 UTC 2005

On 8/15/05, Andrew Codrington <acodring at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Had this working briefly yesterday after installing ffmpeg.
> It stopped working after I compiled/installed MPlayer and its 'essential codecs'.
>
> Problem:
> Watching Live TV I get sound, but no video.
> Watching recordings, same problem.
> While scrolling through recordings the preview works fine - I can see moving video. I'm at least
> capturing video and sound with ivtv.
>
> Background:
> Mythtv and MythPlugins 0.18.1 compiled from source
> Ubuntu 5.04
> kernel 2.6.10-5-686
> AMD system
> PVR-500
> ivtv 0.3.7c compiled from source
> ffmpeg compiled from source
> mpeg2dec-0.4.0
> xvidcore-1.1.0-beta2
>
> No one 'howto' covered all my bases so I've had to jump around. Not sure where things went off the
> rails.
>
> Looking for some guidance/hints/search terms/log locations that I can google off of.

A couple questions:

1) Which MPEG2 playback library are you using in MythTV (check
frontend settings - TV - playback) See if using libmpeg2 helps (or
deselecting it if it is already selected)
2) Does Mplayer itself play MPEG2 video normally?
3) Does uninstalling Mplayer and the codecs resolve the problem? If it
does, give Xine a whirl and see if you get the same problems.

Nick