[mythtv-users] Cases for a PVR box... recommendations.

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Aug 11 21:15:03 UTC 2005

On 11 Aug 2005 07:11:22 -0700, Jim Reith wrote:

>> > My question is, of those specialized cases out there, what are people's
>> > favorites - which ones have proven to be more stable.

I'm just putting together a box using the Silverstone LC11M as my case.
This box is intended to replace the 2 VCR's next to the TV so I wanted a
smallish and neat case.
This case is good looking 'restrained' and well made.

The case has the basic form factor of a 2U rack mount case. A little
narrower and a little taller, but shorter than a desktop case in both
dimensions. This case will take mATX motherboards or mini-itx. Has a very
nice stealthed setup for a DVD in the front. The LC11M has a built in
"VFR/IR" window. I have no idea whether this bit will eventually work
under Linux, but the capability is there. Inside there is space for 2
3.5inch hard drives in the cage and you could shoehorn another under the
DVD.

It is very quiet. The noisiest part on mine is the 40mm fan on the CPU.
The power supply ( 240Watt approx) is basically silent.

I am using a Via Epia SP13000 motherboard and there is a 'gotcha' involved
there.
The case has 3 horizontal PCI slots in the back and will take full length
PCI cards BUT the included PCI riser card expects that the first slot will
be an AGP slot, and the PCI riser card will fit into the second slot of
the motherboard. Of course a mini-itx board has no second slot! and no AGP
slot. The answer is that you will need a PCI extension ( $8.00 at Logic
Supply in Waterbury Vermont: great service from them BTW!), to go between
a PCI riser card in a mini-ITX board PCI slot and your cards, so that then
your cards will line up with the back of the case. Second gotcha is that
there does not appear to be a 3 slot PCI riser card made anywhere...so you
will be limited to using 2 PCI cards. The third slot is limited to AGP use
only (and then only if you have a board with an AGP slot.). Since I am
intending to use the on board video of the EPIA MB, 2 slots are sufficient
for my Hauppauge PVR500 and a pcHDTV card.

Geoff

R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638