[mythtv-users] Restoring an LVM

Christian Hack christianh at edmi.com.au
Wed Aug 10 04:54:38 UTC 2005

"would have" (sorry that really annoys me that one)

> them.  But in
> my rush to get them working I didn't:-/  After messing around I then
> did a vgcreate VGforMyth -s 64m /dev/hdd3
> It seemed to go ok
>
> I then tried a lvcreate --name av --size 120G VGforMyth
> which went ok also
>
> After creating a mount directory /var/av I get the following
> error with
> trying to mount with
> mount -t xfs /dev/VGforMyth/av /var/av
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/VGforMyth/av,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>
> Did I just totally hose all of my stuff on my lvm?

I'd say you've stuffed it all. With a new install, you should need to do
anything except provide a mount pount in /etc/fstab. The lvcreate/pvcreate
etc is not necessary. Basically you've gone and repartitioned your drive
(not exactly, but close)

All that is needed something like

# LVM initialization, take 2 (it could be on top of RAID)
if [ -e /proc/lvm -a -x /sbin/vgchange -a -f /etc/lvmtab ]; then
        action $"Setting up Logical Volume Management:" /sbin/vgscan &&
        /sbin/vgchange -a y
        fi

This is from RH7.3 so it's definitely in FC3 (and FC4 since I use FC4).

CH