[mythtv-users] Restoring an LVM

tlann at technoeclectic.com tlann at technoeclectic.com
Wed Aug 10 04:20:33 UTC 2005

I was trying to upgrade my mythtv box from FC2 to 3 and most everything
has went well so far.
I realize I probably shouldn't of did a clean install of FC3 and only
did an upgrade but I hosed some viewing settings up pretty good and
just wanted to do mostly a new install.

I've done a new install in the past and was able to keep my myth lv.
But this time something seems to be different.
After doing the install I made sure the lv was there by doing an fdisk
print which showed

/dev/hdd1   *           1        2550    20482843+  83  Linux
/dev/hdd2            2551        2615      522112+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hdd3            2616       19457   135283365   8e  Linux LVM

I then tried a pvcreate /dev/hdd3
which gave me some weird errors.  I wish I would of saved them.  But in
my rush to get them working I didn't:-/  After messing around I then
did a vgcreate VGforMyth -s 64m /dev/hdd3
It seemed to go ok

I then tried a lvcreate --name av --size 120G VGforMyth
which went ok also

After creating a mount directory /var/av I get the following error with
trying to mount with
mount -t xfs /dev/VGforMyth/av /var/av
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/VGforMyth/av,
       or too many mounted file systems

Did I just totally hose all of my stuff on my lvm?

I also did the following lvm commands get the staus of stuff

pvdisplay -v
    Scanning for physical volume names
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/hdd3
  VG Name               VGforMyth
  PV Size               129.00 GB / not usable 0
  Allocatable           yes
  PE Size (KByte)       65536
  Total PE              2064
  Free PE               144
  Allocated PE          1920
  PV UUID               jBf28N-g0X1-upkg-5pd0-iNN9-wUMx-ty3jLm

-------------------------------
 vgdisplay -v
    Finding all volume groups
    Finding volume group "VGforMyth"
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               VGforMyth
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  2
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                1
  Open LV               0
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                1
  Act PV                1
  VG Size               129.00 GB
  PE Size               64.00 MB
  Total PE              2064
  Alloc PE / Size       1920 / 120.00 GB
  Free  PE / Size       144 / 9.00 GB
  VG UUID               EEp4Km-G7DP-umqk-RxrQ-Qm06-FgiP-YoaKbR

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VGforMyth/av
  VG Name                VGforMyth
  LV UUID                qrFTUa-gTL2-voBN-dk9I-pW6j-ato5-YpF4Gg
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 0
  LV Size                120.00 GB
  Current LE             1920
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           253:0

  --- Physical volumes ---
  PV Name               /dev/hdd3
  PV UUID               jBf28N-g0X1-upkg-5pd0-iNN9-wUMx-ty3jLm
  PV Status             allocatable
  Total PE / Free PE    2064 / 144

----------------------------
lvdisplay -v
    Finding all logical volumes
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VGforMyth/av
  VG Name                VGforMyth
  LV UUID                qrFTUa-gTL2-voBN-dk9I-pW6j-ato5-YpF4Gg
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 0
  LV Size                120.00 GB