[mythtv-users] /video XFS need new HD

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 15:33:46 UTC 2005

On 8/7/05, Pshem Kowalczyk <pshem.k at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/08/05, jacko <emailgeek at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have come to a point where I am running out of space on my /dev/hda
> > due to the amount of video I have recorded (only 80 gigs).  I would
> > like to add a new 160g HD to my system but lack the know how to add a
> > disk to an XFS partition in FC2.  I found a good tutorial for FC3 off
> > of Jarod's site.  Should this be the same FC2?  If so, can someone
> > explain what VolGroup00 is when using vgextend?
> >
> > http://svn.wilsonet.com/projects/mythtvology/ticket/87
>
> The VolGroup00 is the name of the lvm volume group. If you have the
> xfs partition directly on /dev/hda - you have to first convert that to
> lvm. I'm not sure what's your current setup is (ie - do you have a
> single partition for the /, or do you use /dev/hda as a part of the
> lvm volume).
> The best way to learn something about lvm is to have a look in the howto:
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/
> If you don't have lvm and want to convert to one the easies way is to
> add the new drive as first phisical volume of lvm, create a single
> logical volume on top of that, format it using xfs and then copy files
> over from the old partition/disk. When everything is on the new drive
> - add the old drive/partition as next phisical volume and then extend
> the logical one to span across both drives.

another good resource for this is:
http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=LvmHowTo

i don't think this is KnoppMyth specific.  there are links to more
info in the HowTo.  It gives a pretty good step-by-step of adding a
new drive and setting up LVM.  it even walks you through saving your
existing data so you don't loose anything you previously recorded. ;)