[mythtv-users] [OT] Xbox Frontend/Xebian 1.1/Alsa

CTD ctd at minneapolish3.com
Sat Aug 6 10:50:21 UTC 2005

David Whyte wrote:

>Bah, I got the saved games on my USB stick, eventually, and the
>emergency linux loads OK, but if I try and load the install linux game
>it fails.
>
>>From reading up, it is my dashboard that is too new, and I have no
>idea where to find an older one and from reading, it would be illegal.
> This is starting to look like a little too much trouble now :(
>
>Plus, using this softmod technique, do you have to select linux from
>the dashboard to get it to boot up everytime you power on?  That would
>kinda suck!
>
>Whytey
>
>On 8/5/05, Wouter Lagerweij <wouterla at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On 8/4/05, David Whyte <david.whyte at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Hmmm...Using the TSOP flash method, you can solder two pointds on the
>>>main board (for 1.2, 1.3, which I have anyways) and the use the
>>>mechassault game to load the linux bootloader thingo to flash the
>>>BIOS.
>>>
>>>Thats my understanding from the docs at xbox-linux.org :|
>>>
>>>This weekend is going to be fun :P
>>>

>>I've hacked a couple of xboxes (one 1.6 one earlier model) without
>>having to use any soldering.
>>Key to this is already having a hacked xbox, so that you can create a
>>correctly formatted memory card (find the savegames at xbins). Or you
>>could download one (I have it here somewhere...), and use 'dd', to get
>>it onto a USB memory stick, and use a converter cable to connect that
>>to the Xbox.
>>You can easily make those cables yourself (xbox-linux, or one of the
>>forums will probably have an explanation) or do as I did, and buy one
>>for 7.95 EUR...
>>
>>You can google 'ltools xbox' to get more info.
>>
>>Wouter

As I posted earlier in this thread, the SW-Mod instructions on the
xbox-linux site refer to a method which does require an earlier MS
dashboard version.  This was the problem that I had.  After finding a
v1.0 xbox on ebay, I bought it and found out it had the latest dashboard
due to being connected to the internet (MS will auto upgrade the dashboard).

Luckily if you follow the instructions at:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act=ST&f=44&t=257509
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/203285
http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/xbins.php
You will use the ltools SW-mod zip which I believe can handle all
dashboards.

Yes you do have to select linux (or what ever you want to call it) from
the new dashboad.  I modified my evolution ini file so that after boot I
just need to hit the select button once and my linux boots and starts
mythtv.  You can follow this guide
(http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/evox-ini.php).

Mike