[mythtv-users] A success story and a few questions.

tufkal tufkal at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 05:54:58 UTC 2005

Well if you setup the recording profile to use RTJpeg and not mpeg4,
most of the processing is done on the backend side and the frontend gets
a little break.  If you switch to MPEG4 the backend uses less CPU but
the frontend uses more.  It's kind of a balancing act.  The frontend
uses on average 40% CPU with RTJpeg quality 170 (the default) for live
TV.  A Celeron 300 should be able to handle it without maxing out the
CPU usage, and even if it did you could bump the rtjpeg quality down a bit.