[mythtv-users] HDTV Video Modes with MythTV

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 1 19:13:17 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 11:53:16AM -0700, Brandon Rogers wrote:
> At first, I thought the clarity of the 1080i (540p in some cases) is
> actually better than the NTSC output. However, after playing with
> things, I'm not sure this is the case. Most of the clarity seems to
> come from simply having such a low resolution (the text is huge).
> Sure, there are quite a bit of clarity enhancements, but seeing as
> the resolution is so low, I wonder if it is really worth it. I can
> crank my resolution up, modulate it to NTSC, and I get more screen
> real estate, the picture quality (for an average video user) are
> very close (admittedly, the 1080i/540p is better), but by how much
> and is it really worth it? What does everyone think?

Plain old SDTV analog cable is 480i (I think).

I get HDTV over-the-air, and even when it is mythtranscode'd down to
720x480 (480p, I guess), the picture is still much better. I think
what I am seeing is the difference between a clear digital signal and
a noisy analog signal, and probably not so much to do with the
increased resolution.

My HDTV will only show 856x480 over its DVI connection anyways (or at
least I can't get a better modeline), so I don't really get any
benefit from keeping 720p or 1080i content, aside from increased
disk-space consumption.

--Rob