Small quiet HDTV frontend (was Re: [mythtv-users]kernel 2.6.12support)

Paul Bender pbender at qualcomm.com
Sat Apr 30 19:08:52 UTC 2005

> Hi Paul,
>
> I would rather go the diskless, fanless, suave way.  What board are you
> running with the CN400 chipset?

I have two different boards that I am playing with: VIA EPIA SP8000E and
the Commell LV-667D. The VIA board is fanless, but the Commell LV-667D has
DVI-D support (which does not work yet).

> Does it have 1GB n/w (I guess it must for HDTV?), digital out (coaxial
> or optical) that works with Linux.

It has 100M network connection.

> What method n/w booting ru using? and with what dist

I am using pxeboot, which is supported by both the VIA and Commell boards.

I roll my own frontend distribution
<http://linpvr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=340>. I have checked the CN400
support into version control, but I have not put out a binary with CN400
support. Some time in the next week, I will likely put out a binary that
has CN400 support.

> Finally how stable is the experimental CN400 driver .... WAF stable or
> techie stable or bleeding edge stable! (aka unstable)

They are work well. However, I have had them lock up occasionally and I
have problems with bob deinterlacing. Therefore, I would say that they are
not WAF stable, but they are techie stable.