[mythtv-users] 169time and new Firewire capture ability

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Apr 29 01:22:52 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 04:23:51PM -0700, Joe Barnhart wrote:

> --- Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:
>
> > The question is, what other choices will be available.  Like most
> > people
> > here I can't stand watching live TV, and now that I am getting used
> > HDTV I find it annoying to watch analog capture SDTV too.
>
> The pessimist in me says "get used to not recording anything on cable
> or satellite."  That's where it's all headed if Hollywood has their
> say.  And they may have bought enough influence to make it happen.
>
> If that does come to pass, I'm perfectly able to live without cable or
> satellite TV.

The problem is there _will_ be a way to record cable and satellite, but
it won't be Myth or anything else open source.   Even in the future when
you can record HD from analog inputs you will still be decoding and
re-encoding which gives poorer picture and bigger files.  That's bad
because it means that many people, no matter how much they might otherwise
like the open source box, will get the locked box.