[mythtv-users] VGA to Component adaptors

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Apr 28 21:46:17 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 10:30, Tom Lichti wrote:
> gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:
> > Tom Lichti wrote:
> >> My question is: what are people using for vga-component, and how do
> >> they like the quality?
> >
> > Crescendo Systems Transcoder (external version) ....
> > http://www.crescendo-systems.com/transcoder.html ... tho' just after I
> > bought it, they came out with a PCI version (only uses PCI for power)
> > ... and it is $10 cheaper than the one i got... darn! :p
> >
> > it comes highly recommended by avsforum.com (Crescendo Systems worked
> > closely with users on avsforum when developing it) ...
>
> Looks like a nice piece, I've seen from avsforum that most guys
> recommend just getting a better video card with component out, which may
> actually be cheaper, since I can get an nVidia 6200 card with
> HDTV/component out for $110 CDN, versus $120US for the Crescendo card. I
> just have to make sure my mobo has a PCI Express port on it...

You can get a 6200 in AGP as well (I have one). However, at least thus far, I
prefer the transcoder to the 6200's component out, since it lets me have much
more control over the picture and I can use xrandr. That said, component out
on the 6200 Just Works, no modeline tweaking necessary.

The Crescendo box is nice... I've got a ~1.5 year old Audio Authority 9A60
that does the job for me, but the VGA passthrough would be nice to have when
tweaking...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com