[mythtv-users] VGA to Component adaptors

Nate Thompson nightstrm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 16:44:20 UTC 2005

On 4/26/05, Tom Lichti <tom at redpepperracing.com> wrote:
> I've seen some posts about these lately, some people building, some
> people buying. I have a GrandTec Ultimate 2000
> (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=169832&CatId=1430)
> but I'm really not happy with the quality of the component out. It does
> some funky stuff. I switched back to S-Video and the quality is far
> superior, but everyone says component is the way to go, so that's what
> I'd like to do. I've read a bit about building your own, and it seems
> pretty straight forward, but then I see this:
> http://www.national-tech.com/catalog/vgatorcacomponentvideocable.htm
> which looks pretty cheap, but they all say 'not intended for use with a
> computer' which seems odd since it is a VGA connector.
>
> My question is: what are people using for vga-component, and how do they
> like the quality?
>
> Thanks for any and all info.
>
> Tom

I actually picked up a RCA VHDC300 off of eBay recently for a pretty
cheap price. I got it setup last night and the picture quality is much
better on my HDTV than before with just svideo. I still have to do
some tweaking to compensate for a slight horizontal overscan, but I've
been pretty happy with it so far.

Before purchasing, I tried to find information online about its use in
this application (using it for computer applications), and wasn't able
to find too much about it. I did see a couple posts on a forum about
how it may only work well with 540p/1080i modelines, but I have not
yet tested this statement.

Nate