[mythtv-users] Slowest processor for software HDTV decoding

Jonathan Watmough jonathan.watmough at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 17:04:19 UTC 2005

On 4/28/05, Cecil Watson <cwatson at linkline.com> wrote:

> Seth Heckard wrote:
>
> >I know there has been a lot of discussions here lately about HDTV
> >decoding and processor speeds and such, however I get the feeling that
> >the recommended 3GHz P4 spec is a little overkill.
> >

> There is a reason why it is recommend.
>
> >Basically, I am asking for the slowest (and theroretically cheapest)
> >processor that can decode all HD formats, and ideally have headroom
> >left over for things like commercial flagging and deinterlacing if
> >required. I could care less about P4 vs. Celeron vs. AMD64 as long as
> >it gets the job done. For the sake of argument, assume that a Nvidia
> >FX 5200 will be used with DVI output and no XvMC.
> >

> From my personal experience, a 3GHz P4.
>
> Regards,
>
> Cecil

I'm getting good results from an AMD64 3000 with 512 Megs and one HDTV card.
Video card is a 5200.

I don't need to bother with XvMC. The system is rock stable. Transcoding
jobs are custom script cronned in the wee small hours.

Fry's had the ASUS mobo and processor together on offer for $230. That
should be cheap enough for anyone.