[mythtv-users] Recommendations for New Sound Card

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 13:23:30 UTC 2005

On 4/27/05, David <myth at dgreaves.com> wrote:
> Lachlan McIntosh wrote:
>
> > My recommendation
> >to anyone thinking of getting a mainboard with integrated components is
> >DON'T - unless you have LOTS (and lots) of free time.
> >

> For anyone who may see this email in the future - this is truly
> worthless advice :)
>
> Both my onboard sound systems are fantastic and 'just work' - one does
> optical or electrical spdif to a decoder - the other is line-out.
>
> Lachlan, if you want to comment on your difficulties with a specific
> _model_ of motherboard/sound subsystem then feel free.
> And you may want to advise people to check the sound subsystem on their
> mainboard for compatibility _before_ buying it.
>
> >So I'm now looking for a PCI soundcard with S/Pid optical outputs.  I do
> >have a SB Live! Card that I have been using, this has a digital output
> >on the back of the card (but it isn't optical).
> >

> Have you looked through the tons of messages on this very subject in the
> last few weeks?
> Try searching for Soundcard Recomendation.
>
> David

Yeah, this is more an Alsa issue really. I haven't tried it with
MythTV but I use a USB to spdif converter from ADS Tech for our music
collection playback. It works great. If I knew where to configure Myth
to use hw:1,0 instead of default then I'd give it a quick shot with
Myth also. I'll bet it works fine.

So, PCI based, MB based, USB based. It's really an Alsa issue in my
mind. MB is probably fine if Alsa supports it well.

Cheers,
Mark