[mythtv-users] First frontend only machine

Greg Mitchell greg at nodecam.com
Wed Apr 27 01:06:46 UTC 2005

> Kanetse - Is it a true statement that if I go the direction of a
> software mod to start that nothing is lost other than time if it
> doesn't meet my needs? If I can back out the software mods later then
> I have a new XBox again and could add a hardware mod at that point?

Depending on how wrong things go...When I attempted my first soft-mod,
using the hard drive hotswap technique and UDE2, it didn't work, so I
tried to restore the backup that supposedly gets created as the first
step.  Welllll.....Let's just say I used the wrong restore command, and
the first step formatted my hard drive (blowing away my backup...whoops.)

I think it would have been recoverable with a lot of work, and I could
have tried again, but instead I just got a modchip installed by a local
guy, and he kindly also restored my hard drive to a usable state.

So, with a failed softmod you should be able to install a modchip and
recover from some pretty serious booboos.

Greg