[mythtv-users] INFO: RAID comparison for MythTV

Bryce mythtv at menolly.net
Thu Apr 21 22:23:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, April 21, 2005 4:15 pm, MagicITX said:

>> As another hint - Start your RAID small and grow it. Buying your disks
>> all at once means that they'll all tend to fail at once - Which is not a
>> good thing. Unfortunately, there's no easy, reliable way I've found to
>> extend a RAID without backing up (somewhere really huge :) and
>> restoring.

That's a myth about RAIDs and hard drives in general. I've built and
maintained many many RAIDs over the years (with several of them running
for years) and never have experienced a noticeable increase in drive
failures or drives failing closer together, etc. Nor have I ever had a
vendor even suggest such a procedure. Hard drives basically fail regularly
and randomly over the entire life of the RAID. Even when EMC installs
their big $500K frames, they don't add drives bit by bit or even from
different manufacturing runs.

--
Bryce T. Pier