[mythtv-users] INFO: RAID comparison for MythTV

David George david at thegeorges.us
Thu Apr 21 22:02:19 UTC 2005

MagicITX wrote:

<snippage>

>While the number of drives in a RAID 5 array is theoretically
>unlimited, some recommend no more than 14 drives.  The problem is RAID
>5 is hosed if two drives fail.  The more drives you have the more
>statistically likely you are to suffer a two drive failure.

While still not perfect, this is why you would want a hot-standby drive
in a RAID 5 setup.  You will only be running in degraded mode for as
long as it takes the system to rebuild the array on the hot-standby, not
for as long as it takes for one to a) buy and install a new drive, or b)
install a spare that was sitting on a shelf.  Granted this still doesn't
help if you lose two drives at the same time or lose a second drive
while the system is rebuilding the array.  Also RAID 10 can also lose
all data in the entire array if two drives in the *same mirror* fail.
Granted I am just picking nits here :-) :-)  RAID 5 is more prone to the
two drive failure problem as it can be *any* two drives in the array.

Good article though.  For me it is just TV.  My video storage is on RAID
0.  If a drive fails and I lose all my shows, I'll be sad, but life goes
on ;-)

In case anyone is interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_array_of_independent_disks

--
David

HDTV frontend I'm working on (picture of back, mythmon source)
  http://mythhd.info