[mythtv-users] Alternative to Zap2It?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 21 03:57:02 UTC 2005

Well, thank you, Mr. Negativity.

I admit, it's not that useful for long-term
scheduling, because it is only 24 hours in advance.
However, there might be other short term information
within the stream that could be used.

If they put out the current time of day in the signal,
then it might be a more accurate time than NTP - even
with NTP running, I have to record an extra minute
before and after my desired show because of the clock
difference.

Perhaps it could be used as a way of updating the
listings that come from Zap2It, due to last minute
lineup changes.  For instance, if a baseball game is
scheduled for three and a half hours, but it's a
pitchers' dual, and only lasts two and a half hours,
then the networks fill in that extra space with
something.  Maybe the listing will be updated, and the
TV viewer would know about it.

If there's information on the current show in that
stream, maybe MythTV could use it.  I've seen several
times where Zap2It had the wrong program description.

Those are just three of the uses I can think of, off
the top of my head.

And please don't say, "submit a patch, then", because:
A) I'm not interested in this feature right now
(though if what was in the stream was documented
somewhere, and it was in my local viewing area, I
might be), and
B) I'm sick of hearing you say it in such a rude way
(mostly on the dev list).

-- Joe