[mythtv-users] Standalone video file player?

Mark Staudinger mark at mark.staudinger.net
Tue Apr 19 13:50:01 UTC 2005

Mr AG!! Wrote thusly:

> I want to know if I can use Myth-TV to play my collection of audio, and
> video files. I don't have a DVB card, or even the ability to receive the
> signal ... *deep in a basement!*. I would like to hook up a decent
> monitor to my base unit, with no keyboard, or mouse, and then use the
> web interface to select my files, which I would SCP over to a selected
> directory, and watch them at my leisure. Please tell me if this scenario
> is achievable? Thanks in advance!

I do something similar, as I have some non-TV captured video, and generally
transcode my recorded TV programs to a standard .avi (divx) format before
playing them.

I use a combination of the MythVideo plugin (which uses MPlayer to play back
video files), and XMMS for playlist/music playback.

I don't know if/how this would interface with MythWeb, I think that's more for
managing recording schedules and recordings that have been generated by a
MythTV backend.  So unless you have a MythTV installation elsewhere on your
network, I would say just manually scp whatever files you want access to, and
put them in the directory that MythVideo is configured to look for files.

Of course, you could run MPlayer and XMMS manually and get similar results,
but the MythTV frontend interface is very easy to use, and nice to look at.

-=Mark