[mythtv-users] Standalone video file player?

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Tue Apr 19 11:49:07 UTC 2005

> I want to know if I can use Myth-TV to play my collection of
> audio, and video files. I don't have a DVB card, or even the
> ability to receive the signal ... *deep in a basement!*. I
> would like to hook up a decent monitor to my base unit, with
> no keyboard, or mouse, and then use the web interface to
> select my files, which I would SCP over to a selected
> directory, and watch them at my leisure. Please tell me if
> this scenario is achievable? Thanks in advance!

AFAIK there is no support for selecting and playing a file via the web
interface. You might want to look for a video jukebox program to fill your
needs. Myth can be used to select and play your videos using a remote or a
wireless keyboard (not a mouse) if that is an option for you. If all you
want is to play videos, myth is overkill.