[mythtv-users] Channels with poor quality create HUGE recordings

Phil Buescher alt.phil at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 00:51:20 UTC 2005

Wanted to post the resolution, even though it's a strange one.

I have no explination for why this fixed it, but here goes...

First I tried the software-based video filters from within the channel
editor, as suggested.  However the option that was suggested,
"quickdnr" just crashed mythbackend whenever I tried to view that
channel.  So I tried "linearblend,denoise3d=12", and that actually
seemed to help things quite a bit.  The record size was much smaller
(I watched this by comparing how fast my buffer filled while paused),
but still larger than normal, and the quality was still very poor with
diagonal lines.

I then put on an FM filter, to see if that would help clear things up.
 It didn't seem to help - in fact, it seemed a little worse.

So for lack of anything else to try, I pulled off the FM filter and
put on a signal booster, and that didn't help either, again, making it
seemingly worse.

So just for giggles I decided to put on both the signal booster, and
the FM filter as well.  Imagine my amazed surprise when my picture
quality was near PERFECT!  I mean, it looks just like any other
channel, with very clear nice quality.
And my recording size is totally great!  Completely normal sized recordings.

Now, the FM filter probably didn't do crap, because there's no reason
I should be getting FM interference.  And as far as the signal booster
goes - both my cable installer and the guy at radio shack told me it
wouldn't do anything for me.  The software video filters seemed to
help some, but certainly didn't make the end result happen.

I had to use all three to get a clear picture quality.

Well, I'll let you all wonder just why that's the case, because I have
no friggin' clue.  I guess something about boosting the signal, then
filtering it, and finally running some software video filters on it
made my picture quality totally crystal clear.  Or at least as clear
as standard cable gets.

Oh well, I'm totally happy now.  Thanks all for the info - I know a
lot more about cable than I did before now.
Still - I wonder if tweaking the software video filter's parameters if
that would have fixed it by itself?  Who cares, I'm not touching a
darn thing - it works.

Now then, I'm off to delete some horribly huge records and schedule
re-recordings of them, now that they'll be clear.