[mythtv-users] Where to (really) buy an Air2PC -or- should I get a HD-3000?

Chris Neam gotti at yousawnothin.com
Thu Apr 14 22:53:53 UTC 2005

Paul B. Henson wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Seth Heckard wrote:
>

>>I've had a Air2PC on backorder from cyberestore for a while now, and
>>just checked on the status to see that it's delayed until May or June.
>>Not only that, but it will use a new chipset that probably won't be
>>supported initially.
>

> yes, but on the bright side the new chipset will have a 5th generation
> tuner :). I actually have three units on back order myself and share your
> pain <sigh>...
>

>>Other than cyberestore and the mythtv store listed on froogle, is there
>>anywhere to actually get these cards?  A lot of people on this list seem
>>to have them, yet nowhere on the internet seems to have them in stock.
>

> they are completely out of stock, the manufacturer simply needs to make
> more.
>

>>I have read that the Air2PC card is "better" in the QAM department.  If
>>I get impatient and go for a HD-3000, would I be missing anything?
>

> Actually, it appears the original Air2PC had some unresolvable hardware
> issues with QAM. They are supposed to be fixed in the new version. I
> believe the HD-3000 is QAM capable, but don't know how it compares to the
> as yet unavailable new version of them Air2PC.

What were these 'unresolvable hardware issues with QAM'? I happened to
get one of the last generation cards just before they sold out and I
thought I was lucky.  I can tune 2 channels but they don't show up where
one would expect them to in the frequency set.  I thought this was
something with Cox Digital cable and the way they start digital channels
from 150 up.  Could this maybe be part of the hardware issue?  If it's
not then I will just have to spend some time writing down the
frequencies of the channels from my cable boxes debug menus.