[mythtv-users] commercial flagging idea - commercial"fingerprinting"

Mike Benoit ipso at snappymail.ca
Wed Apr 13 16:15:43 UTC 2005

Hi there,

	I've been interested in this topic for quite some time now. I've even
posted to the list regarding something very similar a few months back,
however it was met with mixed results.

I'm the author of MythRecommend
(http://ipso.snappymail.ca:8080/mythrecommend/) which has been around
for a fair amount of time now, and out of the 120 unique people who use
it, they record 2275 unique programs in total. The top 345 shows are
watched by over half of the people.

So I think a system where commercial cut lists could be exchanged
seamlessly would be a huge help.

I'm willing to volunteer my time to work on a centralized repository
similar to what MythRecommend has that can handle commercial cut lists.
Thats the easy part though, the hard part is getting Myth to do its
part.

Here is a snippet of the most popular shows, and how many unique clients
record them.

                                     title                                     | count
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------
 The Simpsons                                                                  |    67
 The Daily Show With Jon Stewart                                               |    48
 Futurama                                                                      |    41
 MythBusters                                                                   |    39
 Desperate Housewives                                                          |    36
 CSI: Crime Scene Investigation                                                |    34
 Scrubs                                                                        |    34
 South Park                                                                    |    31
 Stargate SG-1                                                                 |    31
 Star Trek: Enterprise                                                         |    30
 Family Guy                                                                    |    30
 Lost                                                                          |    29
 CSI: NY                                                                       |    26
 Stargate Atlantis                                                             |    26
 The Apprentice                                                                |    25
 CSI: Miami                                                                    |    24
 Aqua Teen Hungerforce                                                         |    23
 Malcolm in the Middle                                                         |    22
 Arrested Development                                                          |    21
 ER                                                                            |    21
 Law & Order: Special Victims Unit                                             |    20
 24                                                                            |    19
 Law & Order                                                                   |    19
 Extreme Makeover: Home Edition                                                |    18
 Good Eats                                                                     |    17
 Joey                                                                          |    17
 The West Wing                                                                 |    17
 Nova                                                                          |    16
 Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law                                               |    16
 Sealab 2021                                                                   |    16
 Everybody Loves Raymond                                                       |    15
 Frontline                                                                     |    15
 King of the Hill                                                              |    15
 Battlestar Galactica                                                          |    15
 Will & Grace                                                                  |    15
 That '70s Show                                                                |    15
 Sex and the City                                                              |    15
 Star Trek: Voyager                                                            |    14
 American Chopper                                                              |    14
 Friends                                                                       |    14
 60 Minutes                                                                    |    14
 Star Trek: Deep Space Nine                                                    |    14
 Survivor: Vanuatu%2c Islands of Fire                                          |    14
 Chappelle's Show                                                              |    13
 Law & Order: Criminal Intent                                                  |    13
 Father of the Pride                                                           |    13
 Star Trek: The Next Generation                                                |    13
 Saturday Night Live                                                           |    13
 Dilbert                                                                       |    12
 Nip/Tuck                                                                      |    12
 Smallville                                                                    |    12
 Two and a Half Men                                                            |    11
 The Venture Brothers                                                          |    11
 Iron Chef                                                                     |    11
 The Outer Limits                                                              |    11
 Alias                                                                         |    11
 The 4400                                                                      |    11
 Seinfeld                                                                      |    11
 Scrapheap Challenge                                                           |    11
 The King of Queens                                                            |    11
 Monk                                                                          |    11
 The Amazing Race 6                                                            |    10
 The Shield                                                                    |    10
 The O.C.                                                                      |    10
 Gilmore Girls                                                                 |    10
 Conspiracy?                                                                   |    10
 Drawn Together                                                                |    10
 Modern Marvels                                                                |     9
 Reno 911!                                                                     |     9
 NYPD Blue                                                                     |     9
 Medium                                                                        |     9
 Coupling                                                                      |     9
 The Oblongs                                                                   |     9
 Law & Order: Trial by Jury                                                    |     9
 Without a Trace                                                               |     9
 Punk'd                                                                        |     9
 House                                                                         |     9
 Meet the Press                                                                |     9
 Home Movies                                                                   |     9
 Charmed                                                                       |     9