[mythtv-users] newbie introduction

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 15:13:56 UTC 2005

On Apr 12, 2005 9:53 AM, Richard Legault <rich.lega at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am the newest newbie here, I don't even have a box set up yet. Parts
> are on order for the lirc input and output, tuner card will be ordered
> this week or next. I do have a couple of things that I  have to ask...

hello newest newbie Richard :)

> My current VCR gets its program guide information from the TV signal
> itself (I have analog cable). Does MythTV have that capability or
> plans for it?

Myth does have an electronic program guide {EPG}, but it doesn't get
its data from the cable signal.  it gets its info from zap2it.com, a
free (registration required) service that serves up guides for all
areas.  you just create a username and password and supply an email
address.  you have to renew every three months, but the service is
very good.

> Do I really need to get a sound card if I don't have a sound system
> external to the TV set?

if you get one of the pvr-x50 cards sound is captured with/from the
cable signal.  but i you still need a sound card to get the sound out
of your computer. :)  if your mobo doesn't have built in sound you can
pick up a cheap soundcard.  search the archives (google:
gossomer-threads mythtv) for soundcards and you'll find a bunch of
affordable sound cards that work well with myth.

> I have a spare computer (1.5G Celeron w/ 128M) with an onboard
> soundcard. I am planning on getting a PVR-500 and a GeForce
> video/TVOUT card.

oh, you have onboard sound. :)  you should be good.
you may want to bump up your RAM a bit (256MB) depending on what else
you plan on doing on your box.  your proc should be fine for regular
cable, especially with a pvr-500 and nvidia vid card.

welcome and good luck!