[mythtv-users] Solar PC

Mark Cooke mpc at jts.homeip.net
Sat Apr 9 09:33:34 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 21:03 -0400, David Kyle wrote:
<snip>

> Also, is Ethernet 10/100 enough for using an NFS share for storage?  I
> would expect it would be, but I want to make sure.  I'm anticipating
> just running the PVR off of a compact flash card, and using my existing
> PC (which is currently pulling double duty running MythTV) to provide
> file storage.

Hi David,

I have an AthlonXP 1500 with 1 PVR250 and 1 PVR350, without any hard
disks at all, connected by a 100base switch to the main server.

I haven't had any problems caused by running out of network bandwidth -
even with both PVR's recording a program, and running a mythtranscode.
That is 2 x 4mbit/sec for the recordings, plus 1 x 4mbit/sec and 1 x
1mbit/sec for the transcode.

I am using NFS v3, over tcp, with tweaked network buffers (see the NFS
howto for performance tuning onfo), with a recent 2.6 kernel.

Considering the maximum bit rate from a 350 is ~ 12mbit/sec, and
doubling that for overhead - for a single PVR350 you would only be using
approx 75% of the theoretical maximum of a 100base switched network.

Another data point is that I have fairly successfully run a myth live-tv
3mbit/sec stream over an 802.11b network (about 5mbit/sec max in my
setup), albeit at a reduced resolution than my wired network.

<snip>

HTH,

Mark

--