[mythtv-users] PVR 500 static on both tuners

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat Apr 9 07:20:13 UTC 2005

On Friday 08 April 2005 20:54, Ross wrote:
> On Apr 9, 2005 7:57 AM, Garry Cook <garrycook at gmail.com> wrote:
> > My PVR 500 arrived today, and I stuck it in with my two existing PVR
> > 250s. I then ran through Jarod's guide to get it setup. When I get to
> > the point of 'cat'ing the output of /dev/video2 and /dev/video3 to a
> > test capture file and then playing them with mplayer, all I get is
> > colored static, with no sound. I've searched the archives and found a
> > few others with this issue, but was not able to track down a fix.
>
> I suspect you've got a newer tuner that the tuner module doesn't
> understand. This is probably because you have are loading an old
> version of the tuner.ko module.

That would be my first guess.

> The ivtv version of the tuner.ko is in
> /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/,

That's true for versions 0.3.2i(ish) and earlier compiled from source. Later
versions put them in /lib/modules/<kernel>/ivtv/.

> which supports more tuners than the
> standard kernel one. Make sure you don't have any other tuner.ko
> modules under /lib/modules/uname -r`/ anywhere.
> You might need to get the latest ivtv drivers as well.
>
> Have a go, but the ivtv list is definetly a better place to post
> questions like this. You should also post your module output using the
> tac script (as per Jarods howto).

Since he said he's using my doc, chances are he's using ivtv from ATrpms, in
which case a simple addition to modules.conf may fix the issue:

alias tuner tuner-ivtv

That, or installing v4l snapshot kernel modules, since I sent the tuner and
tveeprom patches for the PVR-500 upstream as well.

But definitely take this to the ivtv list with the tac output, its often
fairly obvious from your log output what's going on. (Though another 500 user
is having some issues that I can't see an explanation for in his logs)...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...