[mythtv-users] PVR 500 static on both tuners

Ross rwillman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 03:54:59 UTC 2005

On Apr 9, 2005 7:57 AM, Garry Cook <garrycook at gmail.com> wrote:
> My PVR 500 arrived today, and I stuck it in with my two existing PVR
> 250s. I then ran through Jarod's guide to get it setup. When I get to
> the point of 'cat'ing the output of /dev/video2 and /dev/video3 to a
> test capture file and then playing them with mplayer, all I get is
> colored static, with no sound. I've searched the archives and found a
> few others with this issue, but was not able to track down a fix.

I suspect you've got a newer tuner that the tuner module doesn't
understand. This is probably because you have are loading an old
version of the tuner.ko module. The ivtv version of the tuner.ko is in
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/, which supports more tuners than the
standard kernel one. Make sure you don't have any other tuner.ko
modules under /lib/modules/uname -r`/ anywhere.
You might need to get the latest ivtv drivers as well.

Have a go, but the ivtv list is definetly a better place to post
questions like this. You should also post your module output using the
tac script (as per Jarods howto).

Cheers,

Ross