[mythtv-users] Marriage of Email List and Forum, Can't we all just get along!!

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Apr 8 20:13:31 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 04:08:02PM -0400, Jeff Simpson wrote:
> > Literally *hundreds* of tools exist to manage traffic flow for mailing lists
> > and Usenet groups (which is what we *really* should be doing, if you need an
> > opinion :-); web forums are all different, and completely unmanageable for
> > off line use.
>
> While I tend to agree that web forums are all different and difficult
> to manage, I do prefer forums to mailinglists since they tend to be a
> little better organized and you can easily categorize things. (take a
> look at forums.gentoo.org. It's a prize example of how the categories
> help sort out technical problems, discussions, ideas, etc). I like the
> idea of a newsgroup, except it doesn't really add much over the
> mailinglist except that you can read it without filling up your inbox.

Which is often enough.

> I have to ask about the "unmanageable for offline use" part. How many
> people do you suppose really read this list offline?

Me, at least occasionally.

And if you consider how popmail works, likely, almost everyone.

>                                                       For that matter,
> how many myth users aren't on a broadband connection and are online
> all the time anyway? There are an awful lot of people who sign up
> web-based email accounts for this list just because there is so much
> traffic that they don't want it on their computer offline.

Which is why Usenet would be optimal.  There are very few things for which
Usenet *isn't* better than email, and almost *nothing* for which web fora
beat either.

Cheers,
-- jr 'fine Usenet postings since 1985' a

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me