[mythtv-users] A/V out of sync due to dropped frames

Nathan Lutchansky lutchann-mythtvusers at litech.org
Thu Apr 7 15:27:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 08:21:21PM -0600, Justin Gombos wrote:
> BTW- I'd like to point out that this problem seems to occurr with the
> Plextor tv402u.  Sometimes part way into a capture video will get
> quite choppy, and audio out of sync, which is probably a symptom of
> the problem you describe.  I just wanted to point that out, so folks
> buying a Plextor ConvertX are aware that the bundled software is not
> smart enough to resolve this problem.

This does sound like your CPU or USB bus is overloaded and can't process
the received streams quickly enough.  Are you seeing "dropping frame"
messages in your syslog?

You're right, the gorecord app in the SDK doesn't handle dropped frames at
all, but it was never intended to--it's just example code.

> Does MythTV resolve this problem?

Presumably.  It's the same issue all capture devices have when they don't
get serviced often enough and experience buffer overruns, so any real
recording app should be able to handle the situation properly.  -Nathan