[mythtv-users] FC3 Install has never worked

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Apr 5 20:06:10 UTC 2005

On Monday 04 April 2005 20:05, Reggie Braswell wrote:
> [...] The bad part about the ndiswrapper route is
> the stack 4 issue. I had to use a kernel with that turned off. I did
> my initial testing with the kernel linuxant provides, but I knew this
> would probably cause me some alsa/ivtv headaches down the road so I
> used ATrpms kernel and source
> (kernel-smp-2.6.10-1.770_14.rhfc3.at.i686.rpm) which also worked fine
> with the ndiswrapper route. I have not tried to recompile the 770 FC3
> base kernel yet? One of the posts Jarod replied back that you could
> turn off the stack 4, but I have read elsewhere that they didn't
> include the option.

Axel's kernel is based off the FC3 source, its a trivial change to the FC3
sources to disabled 4kstacks. Whoever said you couldn't is blatantly wrong.
Just peep Axel's kernel spec file to see what changes were made.

> I haven't looked. I feel the PVR-350 is a blessed
> card for this project and I feel that the kernel provided by ATrpms
> should be the gold standard so I stuck with that.

Actually, the stock kernel is probably better right now. There are some
collisions between the v4l patches in the ATrpms kernel, ivtv and lirc, which
you're running into (unknown symbol tveeprom_*).

>This was not seen using the 770 stock kernel:
> : Unknown symbol tveeprom_read
> : Unknown symbol tveeprom_hauppauge_analog

Yup. :-\

> Problem 3:
> X on the TV. The redhat in the lower left corner is almost not even
> seen and the date and time are completely gone. I read a blog where a
> guy had run some ivtvctl commands to adjust X on his TV and provided
> his settings for PAL. He said to tweak with them to get NTSC to line
> up right. I tried half a dozen hex combinations and moved X all over
> the place and at times turned X green and purple, but never quite got
> it dialed in where I felt it was totally usable.

I didn't think it was at all possible to resize the PVR-350 output right now.

> Problem 4:
> mythtvsetup? Wtf? The next buttons don't work. The first question
> about clearing the cards config. I select yes and press the space bar.
> It acts like it should. Tab to next and press the spacebar and
> nothing. The only way I got to the next screen was alt-f4. That
> happened on the next screen as well. In the following screens I had to
> be in an area that can be changed and press the enter key to move to
> the next screen.

Stupid qt bug. Check out the thread "QT 3.3.4 and highlighted buttons".

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...