[mythtv-users] frontend only remote?

Graham Dunn graham.dunn at leitch.com
Mon Apr 4 18:38:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 02:16:13PM -0400, David George wrote:
> On 4/4/2005 1:47 PM, mark at onnow.net wrote:
>
> >Quoting "kanetse at gmail.com" <kane.tse at gmail.com>:
> >

> >>Don't forget about the ATi Remote Wonder, it has worked very nicely for
> >>me.
> >>

> Also, it is an RF remote so it *should* work in better than an IR
> remote.  But it doesn't for me.  I must have too much RF in my living
> room, because I would always have to point the remote in a certain way
> (and I am only about 8 feet from the receiver).

This remote will also work under lirc. I started from a KnoppMyth R5A12
install (you have to have the source for your kernel)

apt-get install lirc-modules-source
cd /usr/src
tar jxvf lirc-0.7.0.tar.bz2
cd lirc-0.7.0

./setup

Run through the menu configuration, pick your remote, etc.

it'll make the modules and binaries and install.

make sure the lirc_atiusb module is getting loaded in /etc/modules.conf
(check your /etc/modutils/aliases under debian)...

Add lircd to the startup file of your choice (I used
/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh).

Testing:

All the lircd.confs I found didn't work with my Remote Wonder, so I had
to trudge through irrecord. results at
http://www.kurai.org/~gdunn/lircd.conf

run lircd --nodaemon, look to make sure it's loading the right remote
driver.

run irw in another window, hit some keys on the remote and make sure
you're seeing the correct remote identification and the proper key
translation (from the names you defined in lircd.conf).

It's a nice solid remote, but I'm not sure it was worth the hassle.

Graham