[mythtv-users] Satelite service recommendation for use w/ MythTV

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Fri Apr 1 23:51:04 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 18:35 -0500, Maverick wrote:
> I've had a working MythTV box for a couple months now, and so far it's
> been tuning my basic cable channels that my local cable company has.
> I've been thinking about switching to DSS for TV cause their lineups
> have more to offer than my local cable.
>
> My main questions are,
>
> Dish or DirectTV? My brother (a home theater installer) says go with
> Dish, it's better...true?

Dish
	- requires an IR blaster of similar to change channels
	- lower monthly cost, at least when I had mine installed.
	- If you have more than one receiver I think you tend to end up
running two cables from the receiver.  Maybe 3 with local channels.
	- Uses actual mpeg2 technology

Directv
	- Direct serial connection possible to change channels on at least some
boxes.  I have no idea how this works I have dish.
	- I think they are still more monthly
	- They have more sports channels I think
	- Usually one fewer cable from the dish than dish, but only if
	you have multiple receivers.
	- I don't think they are quite using standard mpeg2 for their
	signals.

I've no idea about firewire.  Personally from what little I've heard if
you didn't want to save a little money on programming then directv is
probably what you want for myth.  I have dish and don't regret that.  If
nothing else the dish network CEO is a democrat and the directv one is
a republican which may be a silly way of choosing, but well given that
it is also cheaper.. *shrug*

> Are there any specific hardware boxes I should look for? I'm assuming
> I'll just tune the DSS box w/ MythTV and use lircd to change channels,
> but are there any boxes with Firewire worth seeking out instead?
>
> -Kenneth

Robert Denier (denier at umr.edu)
PhD Electrical Engineering (May 2005)
University of Missouri-Rolla