[mythtv-users] How well does commercial detection work?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Apr 1 23:40:52 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 12:01:42AM -0500, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> > I suspect a better behaviour when you hit End (Skip to next commercial mark)
> > if there is no next mark (or the next mark is end of program) to not seek
> > at all, giving a message like the not-flagged message.   The user can
> > choose to quit watching or hit "D" at that point easily enough.
>
> It already does the first part, it did not allow skipping if you were at the end
> and there were no more commercial flagging marks after your current position.
>
> I just committed a patch to CVS to disable skipping when the last commercial
> flagging marker is less than 10 seconds from the end of the recording.  It
> will instead display the "At End, can not Skip" message that it normally
> does when you are at the end of the recording and there are no more commercial
> flagging marks after your current position.

Thanks, that sounds good, worth doing a checkout for. (I've not been
checking out the last couple of weeks for fear of the giant flood of
patches that got applied, I think it's now pretty stable.)

I did like the other suggestion we saw here, that the OSD's display-bar
be coloured or marked with the cutlist and/or commercial skip list, as
well as of course the cursor and the not-yet-recorded segment.   Flashing
that up with the OSD on every commercial skip and other move would give
a much greater sense of the commercial layout and provide a much more
robust system.   Misreads by the commercial skip heuristics would become
obvous and less troublesome.    Of course, this is a different piece of
code, not nearly so simple a change as those above.