[mythtv-users] Self altering channel table

MagicITX magicitx at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 16:59:41 UTC 2005

Are you recording any scifi movies?  I had similar strange experiences
with my mythtv box.  Then I discovered a strange correlation between
the scifi movies I recorded and the kinds of strange behavior I
experienced.

I too had database changes after recording "Altered States."  The I
snagged "China Syndrome" and the power supply melted down.  Burned a
hole clean through the case!  After fixing the power supply I recorded
"Night of the Living Dead" and the system would mysteriously boot up
in the middle of the night and create hundreds of zombie processes.
Spooky.

Now I only record stuff from The Family Channel and my system is fine.  YMMV.

On the other hand channel.channum = channel.freqid is (for me) the
normal content of the table after a DataDirect channel load.  (freqid
is converted to an actual frequency in the code.)  Did you run through
setup again?

On Apr 1, 2005 1:21 AM, Andrew Meredith <andrew at anvil.org> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> This is my first post here. I did my due diligence over the last couple
> of months worth of posts, so do please forgive if this has been covered
> before.
>
> I just rebooted and fired up mythtv and found that channel change no
> longer worked for either LiveTV or recording. On closer examination it
> seems that most (but not all) of the values in channel.channum have been
> copied into channel.freqid.
>
> This isn't the first time this has happened. The first time I thought I
> had done something daft, but this time I know I didn't do anything
> database related. I had just run a major yum update, which updated ivtv,
> hence the reboot, but there were no mythtv packages in the upgrade set.
>
> Luckily I had a recent mysqldump and could drop and recreate the channel
> table. I mention this purely in order that TPTB know it happens.
>
> Oh and to avoid any misunderstandings, I think MythTV is one of THE most
> exiting Linux projects I have seen in ages. When it stabilises out a bit
> more and particularly (for me) when the Nova-T card works out of the box
> for UK, there will be no good reason to use anything else to watch TV. I
> really miss it when something breaks.
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy M

Tim