[mythtv-users] best setup in my case

Albert Ulmer jayaeu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 02:03:50 EDT 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:30:43 +0100, Peter Dash <peter.dash at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been running 0.15 and 0.16 for a while now on gentoo without any
> major problems. The only gotcha I came across was that the ebuild
> wants to pull in linuxtv-dvb (I'm using a Nebula Digitv dvb-t card) as
> a dependency even though I don't need it because I'm running a 2.6
> kernel. It's relatively easy to hack a solution to this but I wanted
> to do it a bit more cleanly and that took a little more effort.

It seems Gentoo now has MythTV 0.15.1 in portage, so I tried building
it yesterday and got stuck at linuxtv-dvb as well. Can you describe
what exactly I need to do with the headers to successfully build
linuxtv-dvb?

> I think in the end it involved changing the ebuild (which edits
> settings.pro according to your USE settings) to point to dvb headers
> that I placed in a different location to the kernel dvb headers
> because the kernel headers should always be private to kernel. In the
> end not so difficult but just took a bit of time to figure out a nice
> clean way to do it. I don't remember having any xml depency problems
> and mythweb installed fine after I sorted out perl properly.

I'd be interested in the clean way to do it, but so far I couldn't
figure it out. I also went to forums.gentoo.org and looked for advice
there, but most of the post revolve around remove the linuxtv-dvb
dependancy altogether, which obviously won't work for my Hauppauge
DVB-c (and DVB-s in the future).

Just for the record: I'm using gentoo-dev-sources (2.6.8-r3) on a
Shuttle SN41G2 (nForce2). So far I've been following these howtos:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_MythTV
http://home.comcast.net/~alf_park/mythtv.html

Best regards,
Albert.