[mythtv-users] best setup in my case

Jim Coates jcoates at jimcoates.com
Mon Sep 27 11:31:37 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Albert Ulmer" <jayaeu at gmail.com>
To: <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 11:12 AM
Subject: [mythtv-users] best setup in my case

> I'm evaluating MythTV for use as my main TV recording and viewing
> software. I've got every room networked with everything terminating in
> a 19" rack in my closet, where I also have cable access.
>
> I'd like to run a few networked frontends without a TV capture card
> which are connect to the backend over the network.
>
> 1. Is this possible at all? Can the frontends get live video streams
> from the backend's TV capture card?

Yes, this is one of the best things about mythtv.  Of course you'll need a
capture card per frontent if everyone wants to view live tv.

> 2. Is there any way to run the backend in "headless" mode, without a
> TV or monitor connected? How can I make changes to the configuration
> of MythTV without myth-setup?

myth-setup is for configuring the back end only.  mythfonrtend has the
"setup" configuration for each/any frontend.  You can run myth-setup from
any frontend too assuming you can forward your X packets from the backend
machine to the frontend machine  (via ssh)