[mythtv-users] V4L2 vs. V4L on analog cards, WinTV-Theater

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Sep 29 19:30:53 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 15:21, Brett Keating wrote:
> I need a analog capture card from which I can get closed-caption data. Is
> the difference between V4L2 and V4L an issue with respect to this?

Don't know. You might try asking the video4linux mailing list.

> I was
> recommended the WinTV-Go card, looks like a good cheap card... can this
> card be used with either API?

If it is the older bt8x8 version, yes. If its the new cx88 version, no (v4l2

> I found the BTTV drivers online, I am
> assuming that's what I would use unless I'm mistaken.

For the bt8x8 cards, yes.

> We are running the
> 2.4.22-1.2199 Linux kernel, if that is relevant.

The native APIs in that kernel are v4l, but you can hit up ATrpms.net for v4l2

Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...
MythTV Searchable Mailing List Archive