[mythtv-users] Record broadcast television

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Sep 28 01:47:27 EDT 2004

On Monday 27 September 2004 18:48, Ken Schutte wrote:
> I can't help you with the tuning to broadcast vs. cable.

I can. The frequency tables for cable and broadcast are identical for channels
3-13. No changes necessary.

> But, I am
> trying to do something similar - convert old home movies (on VHS) to
> DVD.  So far, I have just being tuning to cable chan 3 with ptune.pl
>
> (VCR is on cable chan 3), then using:
>  >> cat /dev/video0 > newfile.mpg
>
> Then Ctl-C when done.
> This seems to work fine, and you don't have to worry about Myth having
> to record shows according to the listings.  But, I'm not sure if this is
> the best way as far as quality is concerned.

So far as I know, all myth does is set your recording parameters (bitrate,
resolution, etc.), and then basically does the exact same thing, just lets
the encoder dump an mpeg2 file to disk.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com