[mythtv-users] SMB or NFS?

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Sep 24 14:27:49 EDT 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 10:50, J.D. Bakker wrote:
> >I'm trying to move to a separate frontend/backend system, and I want
> >to store everything on the backend's disk....does anyone have a
> >recommendation for SMB over NFS, or vice versa, in terms of
> >stability, ease of setup, or anything else??  SMB looks like it
> >would be a little easier to use with my Mac OS X boxes, but if NFS
> >is clearly better I can go that way.
>
> I have had very few problems mounting NFS exports on my PowerBook
> (10.2). Offhand I'd say that since NFS is more 'UNIXy' than SMB, it
> may well be the better choice for sharing files between two flavors
> of UNIX.

Except then you have to either make sure you have the exact same UID on your
Linux box as you do w/your OS X account, or export the NFS share with world
read/write. This is one of the big reasons I use samba instead when mounting
shares off my Linux boxes. Then I can provide specific username and password
information so I don't have to worry about uids or exporting world-r/w.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...