[mythtv-users] MythTV and DISH - a great solution

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 23 14:01:22 EDT 2004

On 09/23/2004 01:21 PM, Chris Petersen wrote:

>> Is that able to control more than one satellite receiver if they
>> are on separate remote addresses?
>
> Build your own -- about $8 in parts (each) from radio shack:
>
> http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/mythtv-info/MythTV_DISH_IR_LED_TX_via_Modified_LIRC.html
>

> The "simple" transmitters have a VERY short range.  You should be able
> to tape them (with opaque tape like the new goo-less 3m electrical
> tape) to the front of your receivers and not interfere with each other.

How would you go about controlling multiple transmitters?  Multiple
serial ports each with an instance of LIRC?

I just bought a second Dish receiver and am currently working on the
improved transmitter ( http://www.lirc.org/improved_transmitter.html ).
I can't figure out if the red (and possibly IR) LED is supposed to
always glow and flash brighter when sending a signal or if I have some
current leakage somewhere.

I'll admit I never thought of the opaque tape for preventing
interference, but I didn't trust more than one simple transmitter on a
single serial port, anyway.  Regardless, my motherboard only has one
serial port--and doesn't even have headers for a second, and the thought
of spending $30+ for a USB-serial connector that might work or $30 and a
PCI slot for an I/O card was not at all appealing.

Mike