MythTV and Directv (was Re: [mythtv-users] MythTV and DISH - a great solution)

Eric Joe sysop at
Thu Sep 23 11:39:09 EDT 2004

> Many of the Directv receivers have the low-speed serial port mentioned
> (especially RCA).  I have the RCA DRD435RH Directv receiver and made my
> own serial cable using instructions from with
> the external channel changer script from
> .  Solid channel
> changes.  Never had a problem.

I have been running my Mythbox for about 9 months with DirecTV. I also
made a serial cable for my RCA receiver. It has a little jack that looks
like a phone jack labeled Home Control. I had been using an old Sony
receiver that uses a standard DB9 serial connector. Both worked fine.