[mythtv-users] Subtitles with Mplayer on DVD movies

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 23 10:49:53 EDT 2004

On 09/23/2004 10:23 AM, Stephen Tait wrote:

> At 14:43 23/09/2004, you wrote:
>
>> I'm using Myth 0.16 and using the dvd player built-n to watch DVDs, i
>> configured ~/.lircrc correct and it works fine. Now i want to add
>> support for selecting the subtitles on a DVD with my remote control,
>> I added this section to ~/.lircrc but it's not responding:
>>
>> begin
>> prog = mplayer
>>   button = subtitle
>>   repeat = 3
>>   config = vobsub_lang
>> end
>>
>> If I'm usong gmplayer outside of myth and i select the subs throw the
>> GUI (using the mouse) it works fine...
>
> I wish I could figure out how the hell to do this with Xine as well.
> All of my own DVD rips have embedded SRT subtitles, and whilst it's
> easy to pull them up through the GUI I can't figure out how to get
> them switching on/off via the remote.

Have you, by any chance, also figured out how to make xine do vobsub
subtitles?  If so, how?

As far as the on/off, if you have the xine-ui compiled with native LIRC
support:

# select next sub picture (subtitle) channel
begin
        remote = xxxxx
        button = xxxxx
        prog   = xine
        repeat = 0
        config = SpuNext
end

# select previous sub picture (subtitle) channel
begin
        remote = xxxxx
        button = xxxxx
        prog   = xine
        repeat = 0
        config = SpuPrior
end

# select a subtitle file
begin
        remote = xxxxx
        button = xxxxx
        prog   = xine
        repeat = 0
        config = SubSelector
end

Between Next and Previous, you'll eventually get to off (note that it
doesn't seem to wrap-around, so you'll have to use Next for on and
Previous for off).  There are also configs for sync'ing subtitles.  See
xine --keymap=lirc for more details...

>> Oh, BTW, I'm having problems to play CD's that contains an avi file
>> with a .sub file, i don't know how to play those kind of CD's using
>> mplayer throw Myth.... any ideas?
>
> Once the movie has been imported into MythVideo, you can specify a
> unique player command, so instead of using the default it would use
> something like mplayer --subtitle=mymovie.sub mymovie.ogm. Not sure of
> the syntax, as I don't have access to mplayer ATM.

I'm pretty sure for mplayer, you'll need '-vobsub
/full/pathname/without/extensions'  However, for an easier approach, see
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/84069?#84069 .

Mike