[mythtv-users] Sort of OT, but about the Chaintech 7NIF2

Bela Lubkin filbo at armory.com
Wed Sep 15 06:17:59 EDT 2004

David Levine <curiouskangaroo at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is sort of off-topic, since it isn't directly about MythTV.
> However, it is about hardware that I purchased for MythTV, and from
> what I understand it is very popular among MythTV users.
>
> I bought a Chaintech 7NIF2 motherboard, which arrived today.  Every
> photo I've seen of it (including in its own manual) shows a north
> bridge cooling fan.  Mine doesn't have such a fan - instead it has a
> very tall heatsink on top of it.  Is this a known variation of the
> motherboard?  Before I even start to use it, I want to make sure I got
> the right one!  (The box was not sealed, so I suppose its entirely
> possible that the wrong motherboard was in the box).  Is there a
> quick-and-easy way to positively identify the motherboard without
> hooking it up? (can't hook it up because half of my components,
> including the CPU, have not yet arrived)

I'm also still waiting on components -- NewEgg somehow shipped me a used
(and abused) case.  Anyway...

My Chaintech 7NIF2 arrived in an unopened box (don't remember if it was
actually sealed), black with yellow lettering, variously labeled
"CHAINTECH"; "7NIF2 NVIDIA nForce 2 IGP+MCP"; "SUMMIT Motherboard
series".  Contents of box:

  Motherboard
  Manual labeled "CT-7NIF2 USER's GUIDE"
  I/O panel (fits into hole in case, presents icons for connectors)
  flat gray IDE ribbon cable (40-pin)
  flat gray floppy ribbon cable (34-pin)
  COM2 bracket (fits into back of an unused PCI slot)
  CD-ROM "NVIDIA all in one pack Driver" "Version 2.2" "P/N: 9434025022"

Title page of manual says:

  AMD(R) Socket A
  NVIDIA nForce 2 IGP+ MCP
  u-ATX Motherboard
  User's Guide
  Version 4.0

The silkscreen on the board is a dark color, perhaps a dark olive green
or brown (looking at it in low light right now).

After long searching, here are some identifying marks:

Almost exactly between the heatsink'd north bridge and the un-covered
south bridge ("nVIDIA nForce2 MCP") is a little silkscreened box:

  JP23: Green LED
  +-----+------------+
  | 1-2 | Chaintech  |
  | 2-3 | OEM        |
  +-----+------------+

This is the only mention I could find of the manufacturer; no mention of
model.  Not confidence inspiring (but on the plus side, the manual has
company name, address, URL, and even the president's signature!)

The north bridge heatsink is between 2 and 2.5cm tall, consists of an
8x9 array of rectangular silver-colored metal pillars.  As long as it
doesn't overheat, I'm much happier with a heatsink...

Between the last PCI slot and edge of the board you will find a box with
5 contact pads, an arrow pointing to it labeled "CN13 SPDIF CON.".  This
is your nonexistent S/PDIF connector.

Near the center of that same side of the board is a "CN7 SMART CARD"
connector.

Underside of board has a yellow barcode sticker "S/N: C 0407..." and a
white barcode sticker "* 17N27... *"

Hope that helps,