[mythtv-users] PVR350/Myth Questions

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Sep 14 18:48:16 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 14 September 2004 14:51, Daniel Savard wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:23:36 -0700, Jarod Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> > m0j0.j0j0 wrote:
> >
> > I don't believe that's possible.
>
> Why not? The PVR-350 will just be another X11 Display or a display
> head depending on the XF86Config. It doesn't prevent any other X11
> display to exist.

Snipping is appreciated, but ya took out a bit too much there... What don't I
believe is possible? Had to look back at another email to figure that out.
Just wanted to point this out. :-)

> It is currently possible to have an X11 display on the TV-out and on
> the graphics adapter. I don't have the nVidia adapter, so, I cannot
> exactly test it for the original question. But, as far as I understand
> it, the TV-out on the nVidia is defined as a X11 display exactly as
> any other display. You can even use Xinerama to consolidate them as
> one display where the mouse can switch from one to the other.
>
> So, I don't see why it could not be possible.

Yes, its technically possible to display the same thing on both the 350's
output and a nVidia card. However, they're VERY different output devices. I
don't think you could do mirrored mode, because anything OpenGL would attempt
to render on both heads and choke to death trying to render on the 350. If
you have seperate heads, you have to tell Myth which one to run on, which
can't be done on a per-module basis. I *have* heard of someone who ran pretty
much everything on his video card, but enabled "use PVR-350 output" for
playback. He'd select a recording in the UI while viewing through the video
card, then flip to the PVR-350 for video. Not the most elegant solution, but
probably the closest to being able to do what the OP is after right now.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jarod at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...