[mythtv-users] Starting fresh with Jarod's FC2 Guide... When to update the kernel

Wayne Steenburg w.steenburg at myactv.net
Mon Sep 13 16:38:34 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 12:33, Jon Kunze wrote:
> I saw that there is a newer version of the linux kernel, and I was
> wondering when the best time to update it is when going through the
> steps of Jarod's guide? It seems that if I updated it immediately
> after getting apt-get, then it won't let me updated the nvidia
> drivers. Should I wait until I've updated all of these things before
> getting the kernel? Thanks for your suggestions.

Hello again Jon :)

I'm assuming you mean a newer fedora kernel meaning 2.6.8-1.521 as
opposed to kernel.org's 2.6.9rc2 or similar.  If you're using an updated
fedora kernel or one of Axel's you'll probably want to update the kernel
before you set up nvidia or ivtv etc.  Kernel modules are specific to
the kernel version they are compiled against.  Besides I don't think
atrpm's has the nvidia kernel module for the FC2 stock kernel since the
nvidia driver at the time (6106) was incompatible with fedora's 4k stack
kernel.  You could do the dist-upgrade and/or install kde-redhat's kde
before if you so desire it doesn't matter.

Wayne Steenburg