[mythtv-users] Distro roulette... (slight OT)

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Sat Sep 11 08:31:31 EDT 2004

At 07:53 11/09/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>I've decided to ditch Mandrake and it's dependency hell and modifications.
>I'm looking for a distro that uses primarily source code, and
>not dependent on packages.  I'm fairly comfortable compiling
>from tar.gz source, and would like to stay with that.
>
>Some I've found:
>Slackware 10.0
>Sorcerer
>Lunar Linux
>Arch Linux
>
>Does anyone have any experience with these?  With an eye for Mythtv 0.16?
>I'm doing a fresh install of everything to try and solve a crashing problem
>that nobody can pin down.  It's not hardware, I've been through that.
>
>I don't want to reinstall Mandrake because of the issues I had updating
>to code that wasn't 'officially supported' in cooker.  And the LIRC compile
>was miserable too.
>
>Thanks,
>Mark

I'd second the gentoo option. There's a fair few comprehensive guides on
getting Myth up and running, and your USE flags make it very easy to make a
very lightweight system that is sometimes hard to achieve with prebuilt
binaries. My system pretty much just has X, Qt, fluxbox, xine, samba and
apache on it, no KDE or GNOME or anything else so similarly huge.