[mythtv-users] CVS UI Questions

Nathan Ziarek nziarek at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 14:54:48 EDT 2004

> I'm a little baffled how you find them counter-intuitive?  Everything
> is grouped into functional categories.

Well, I don't think the current system is functional, I think it is
logical. It is defined by medium instead of by activity. I have never
and will never sit down with a disc and pop it in, not caring what is
on it (music, movie, data, who cares?) I will sit down and want to
watch a movie.

I think the only way I can explain it is:

It makes the most sense, when storing things to keep like-shaped
objects together. So, using that logic, I keep all of my plates,
knives, spatulas and other flat things together in one, thin cabinet.
I also group together all of my bowls - mixing bowls, salad bowls,
cereal bowls together, since I can nest them, making them take up less
room. This is a logical way of thinking if you are simply trying to
group things. That is kind of the way the current UI is made - just
because it is a flat disc, no matter what is on it, it goes into the
Optical Disc category.

The functional way, of course, of organizing your kitchen is to place
related items together. Serving Utensils, Serving Platters (plates,
bowls, etc), Silverware. When making a meal that requires a mixing
bowl and two serving bowls, you are going to have to go to two
separate areas to get them - but the functional nature of the
organization make sense none-the-less.

just to finish off: I appreciate that you are willing to spend your
time working on this project, and I appreciate that you've given the
UI half a thought. I mean absolutely no disrespect to you or your
work. But, I think you need to be less defensive. Maybe your idea is
the greatest and I just don't see it. I can accept that, but telling
me "It just so happens that the menu layout *I* liked struck a cord
with a
lot of people, including the project lead" is not conducive to
discussion, instead being very "I'm right, you're wrong."

Isaac is a smart guy and he'll go with what he likes. I have no
programming ability at all, so I'll go with what's there. I've said it
before, I'll say it again, I am just trying to facilitate discussion
about it.

...thanks for listening.

Nate