[mythtv-users] Possible a dumb cross compile question

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 12:42:03 EDT 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:58:12 -0500, Aaron Griffin
<aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> yeah the Intel Celeron and AMD XP processors are both i686 processors.
>  So code compiled for i686 (pentium pro and up) will work on both.
> However, be careful with.... I can't recall the name... the flags
> which add processor specific functionality, like MMX and things...
> that could potentially cause problems between AMD/Intel (though don't
> quote me on that).
>
> So everything will work fine, seeing that both processors use the 686
> instruction set.  Now just be careful that you have al the
> dependancies, like Asciimonster said.  IIRC you can set up gentoo to
> retrieve binary packages from another machine.  I'd do that... set up
> a repository on the backend and emerge the packages from there onto
> the front end... this way you should get errors/warnings when it
> cannot find required packages.
>

> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:48:41 -0400, Ryan Steffes <rbsteffes at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:29:22 -0500, Aaron Griffin
> > <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > First, make sure the processors have something in common (i.e. don't
> > > run a SPARC backend with a 286 front end or something like that).
> > > I am going to assume they're both Intel/AMD.
> > > If the packages are all compiled for the lowest common instruction
> > > set, you shouldn't have a problem.  It would be safest to compile for
> > > i386 instructions (unless of course your front end is a 286 or
> > > lower.... then shoot yourself).
> > >
> > > You're going to have to look into how to do this, as I don't have the
> > > time to explain... seeing as you're unsure about this question yet
> > > you're compiling things, I'm assuming you're on Gentoo... there should
> > > be a architecture setting in make.conf (is that right?) switch it from
> > > your proc to 386 (check the documentation).
> > >
> > > Let me know what happens 8)
> > >
> > > On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:58:42 +0200, Asciimonster
> > >

> > Actually, I left it as the default "pentiumpro" which seems to run
> > okay on both boxes. One is a Celeron 466 and the other is an AMD XP
> > 2500+.  I was just asking because it SEEMS to run ok, but I didn't
> > want to end up with trouble down the road.

Actually I use Mandrake; the reason I'm doing this is that I had weird
compilation problems that I couldn't figure out on the other machine,
and decided if this would work it was easier than beating my head into
a wall trying to get it to compile.  It SHOULD be configured almost
identically, save for hardware.