[mythtv-users] Possible a dumb cross compile question

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 11:58:12 EDT 2004

yeah the Intel Celeron and AMD XP processors are both i686 processors.
 So code compiled for i686 (pentium pro and up) will work on both.
However, be careful with.... I can't recall the name... the flags
which add processor specific functionality, like MMX and things...
that could potentially cause problems between AMD/Intel (though don't
quote me on that).

So everything will work fine, seeing that both processors use the 686
instruction set.  Now just be careful that you have al the
dependancies, like Asciimonster said.  IIRC you can set up gentoo to
retrieve binary packages from another machine.  I'd do that... set up
a repository on the backend and emerge the packages from there onto
the front end... this way you should get errors/warnings when it
cannot find required packages.